Saturday, December 10, 2005

Been a while

Through a mix of the internet in our flat playing up constantly and laziness the blog has been left for a while which I'm sure hasn't had too much of an effect on the world but I'm back and planning on doing something with it.

First of all, a little recap of the gigs that I've been to.

First of all, the other week I went to see the White Stripes at the Carling Academy in Glasgow (support band the Greenhornes were excellent, apparently they have a track on Bill Murray's latest Broken Flowers). It was the last night of their residency their and they were brilliant. The set looked fantastic and the songs were amazing. In partiuclar I enjoyed a, sadly short, version of Apple Blossom from De Stijl, my favourite of their 5 albums.

Although not a track they did that night, or one they are likely to do very often, this is the last song I came across of theirs which I fell in love with straight away. It is a cover, of Tegan and Sara, but like all good covers, is arguably better than the original

The White Stripes - Walking With a Ghost

Thanks to Stereogum for bringing it to my attention

The next gig, I think, was Antony and the Johnsons, again at the Carling. I was unsure what I would think of this gig and was going to be in a particularly critical mood as I had had to give up the opportunity to see Stellastarr* in Edinburgh(friends of mine went though and said they were as per usual, awesome).
Antony didn't disappoint at all however. He is a strangely endearing guy who despite being, or seeming, incredibly shy, comes across very well. His voice seems to come from nowhere and is, as said by every review of him ever, haunting. I was particularly happy that he did my favourite song, from his aponymous debut album, Cripple and the Starfish. The best of the night was Fistful of Love in which the rest of the band came alive. Getting the crowd to sing along with him was great fun and filled the huge space of the Academy. Great guy, great gig, further confirmed that he deserved to win the Mercury this year.


Most of you, presumably, have an opinion on Antony and even if you haven't liked what you've heard, I highly recommend this track. (Sorry for the m4a format)

Antony and the Johnsons - The Cripple and the Starfish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home