Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Tuesday Already?

Weeks are going far far far too fast at the moment, not a clue where they are going but it seems to be a week between posts here and I'm never sure why. The last week has seen a little less gigging from me although I did get a nice free ticket to the Magic Numbers, who were very good and were supported by the sadly very average Concretes. But I have been checking out some of the bands appearing on the South By South West page and this is some of the highlights.

If you get a moment, fire down a comment about whether you like them or not and any others you might have found.


Kissing Tigers were my favourite I think. I've been really into guitar bands that I can dance to recently, (maybe why I find myself uncontrollably liking Panic! At the Disco). This band definitly tick the danceable box and I think this is a really strong track, sounds like someone else but not sure who.

Kissing Tigers - Stay in Love

-


Gingerbread Patriots drew my attention for that name and I'm glad they did because this is a band I really like the sound of. They have a little Pavement in them but I'm really hearing contemporary influences like the Postal Service and Architecture in Helsinki going on here. From New Mexico and making an appearance at SXSW I'd really like to hear more of this band. If you like this track I really suggest you have a listen to an unsigned London band called My Sad Captains who I posted on previously and who have made one of my favourite tracks of the year.

Gingerbread Patriots - Wax Lips and Hummingbirds

My Sad Captains - All Hat and No Plans

-

The Velvet Teen have toured with the likes of Death Cab for Cutie and you can definitly hear the similarity on some of their tracks. Having said that, the track I'm linking to is quite different and even reminds me of Antony and the Johnsons a little. Maybe just me. Really good band though and have liked the other stuff on their myspace. Go have a look, you may well like!

The Velvet Teen - A Captive Audience

Later...

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Adams back! good call on the Velvet Teen, I've got a couple of their discs. They're all good!

4:55 PM  
Blogger miss modular said...

love it!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad that you are back to give the inside running on loads of bands...

long time reader first time poster... and a big thanks as quite a few of the bands that you have given the heads up on i am now obsessed with - eg guillemots

keep em coming tiger...

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home